Tuesday, March 13, 2012

LIKE I PROMISED

Last post, I teased with some pictures of home-made kids toys.
And just so I can say I'm a woman of my word, here is that post I promised!

A while back, my mom gave me all her old printer papers that she wasn't using.  This was like a TREASURE TROVE for me!  It includes magnet sheets, canvas sheets, photo sheets, etc!  It was like Christmas Day for real.

So I got the crazy idea to make magnets for the kids in my life (I don't have any of my own, I just get to spoil my friend's kids).  I made a couple "sets" - Spacemen, Fantasy, Underwater....

Here is Miss M playing with the spacemen!  Since there aren't that many magnetic surfaces in my house (other than the fridge and dryer), I took a screwdriver and removed the top of an old, broken DVD player we still had lying around.  It made the perfect table for magnet play!

After making each set, I realized it wasn't much fun just to line people up, so I went through and cut all the heads off all the bodies, and NOW IT'S SO MUCH MORE FUN!!!!!


The other kids toy idea was actually made for myself...
(I'm just a big kid.  But aren't we all?  Aren't we...?)
The Fuzband had picked up a bag of t-shirt "rags" from Goodwill for $1 and THIS:
is what I ended up doing with them (while in the bathtub for over an hour....)


I took each rag and folded it several times and cut out simple, medium sized shapes.
The tear-drop shapes were the most fun to play with because you could create all sorts of patterns and pictures with them.  The fabric became brighter (or darker) once dunked in the water, and the rolling edges weren't even that annoying.  They stuck to the side of the tub quite well.

(In fact, several weeks later - much to the Fuzband's chagrin I'm sure - some of them are still clinging!)

I also got lucky and one of the shirt rags was Panama Jack - that's where I got the awesome Jolly Roger!



So there ya go.
Homemade Toys.
ta da!

Love,
Misses Playstache


No comments:

Post a Comment