Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Rabbit Rabbit!

'Rabbit Rabbit!' my fellow Septemberites!  Gotcha first!
(Unless you yelled out Rabbit Rabbit while the blog was loading, then ya got me!)

Know what I'm talking about?  Oh, you lucky person, you!
Don't know what I'm talking about?  Let me tell you!

According to Wikipedia (which is obviously the most ACURATE resource ever, as the NEWS now uses it as a reference):
""Rabbit rabbit white rabbit" is a common British superstition. The most common modern version states that a person should say "rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit", "rabbit, rabbit, rabbit" or simply "white rabbits" upon waking on the first day of each new month, and on doing so will receive good luck for the duration of that month."

According to my first year of college at Guilford:
You were supposed to be the first one to say "Rabbit Rabbit" to the other person.  If you succeed, you get all the luck for that month.  If you fail, you won't have luck on your side that month.  The rules were always so muddled for us because it was the action of saying it FIRST to each other that was the fun part.  We used to hide ourselves right before midnight on the last day of each month, and try to come up with even more and more ways to trick each other into being unaware of our presence so that we could yell the lucky phrase first.
One of my favorite times was when my friend Bryan called my friend Kristina (before everyone had cellphones) and she thought he was in his dorm room.  But he was using a cordless phone and he knocked on her door the same time she was just answering his phone call.  Believing him to be in his room, she opened the door for whoever was knocking (no peepholes in this dorm) and BAM!  He got her!

This morning at my new job:
Someone mentioned it being the first day of the month and how that will affect our daily routines, and I just shout out 'Rabbit Rabbit!'  (I've kept this up since college, and for years and years I've gotten used to people thinking I'm odd, or giving me strange and confused looks.)  THIS MORNING, however, after I interrupted her by saying "Rabbit Rabbit" with enthusiastic urgency - she stopped, and her eyes got big, and she pointed at me! 

And we both rejoiced upon meeting another person that plays the Rabbit Rabbit game.

SO RABBIT RABBIT EVERYONE!  Happy September ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment